Friday 14 February 2014

Hearts and hurricanes

As the winds howl and the rain beats on the windows I have spent the day reading Ernest Hemmingway's The Old Man and the Sea which seemed appropriate. (Ha - more weather!}The men in his novels often find redemption in Nature. I think over these past weeks we must have all marvelled and cursed at its power.
 I love Hemmingway as a writer - he said  "The world breaks everyone and afterwards many are strong in the broken places. But those that will not break it kills. It kills the very good and the very gentle and the brave impartially. If you are none of these you can be sure it will kill you too but there will be no special hurry."

Today is Valentine's Day after all.
 And talking of death here is Autumn's flamboyant display of death on the wall.

I came across a very old copy of Innovations magazine the other day. I have mentioned Innovations before with regards to scarifying shoes for your lawn - and it really does make an amusing read. Apart from the "At-a-glance-motorised tie rack" and a gadget to fit six tools in your wallet - I was particularly drawn to the hourly reminders of endangered species in the form of a unique clock. I imagine an endangered tiger roaring by my pillow - I know then it is six in the morning. At three in the morning a ring tiled lemur had already whimpered in my ear. At four in the morning the hump backed whale sang. I remove the three AA batteries{which were not included} and go back to sleep.
Pixie and one of the ducks which she is particularly scared of.

and Beezle not worried by anything





Flood


His home address was inked inside his cap
and on every piece of paper that he carried
even across the church porch of the snap
that showed him with mi mam just minutes married.

But if ah'm found at 'ome {he meant found dead}
turn t'water off. Through his last years he nursed,
more than a fear of dying, a deep dread
of his last bath running over, or a burst.

Each night towards the end he'd pull the flush
then wash, then in pyjamas, rain or snow,
go outside, kneel down in the yard, and push
the stopcock as far as it would go.

For though hoping that he'd drop off in his sleep
he was most afraid, I think, of not being 'found'
there in their house, his ark, on firm Leeds ground
but somewhere that kept moving, cold, dark, deep.


Tony Harrison.

No comments:

Post a Comment